Trinity Home Services: Olivet Institutional Baptist Church
Welcome to Olivet Online, the web connection of the Olivet Institutional Baptist Church to its membership, supporters and guests.
You will discover that OIBC is a church rich in tradition vibrant in worship, dedicated to discipleship, relevant in ministry, committed to reaching out and serious about service to God and our community.
We invite you on this journey.
Experience our joy. Join our movement.
REACHING HIGHER!!! GROWING STRONGER!!!
sunday school-9:30 a.m.
and 10:45 am.
student classes 7pm
Bible Study-7:00 p.m.
The Reverend Jawanza Karriem Lightfoot Colvin serves as the sixth Pastor of the Olivet Instiutional Baptist Church. He was called to the pastorate in January 2009. He became Pastor in April 2009. He is a pastor, community builder and scholar-practitioner.
Reverend Colvin is married to the lovely Allison Jaynes Colvin, a native of Philadelphia, PA. They are proud parents of two young sons, Asher and Philip. Reverend Colvin and his family arrived in Cleveland from DC by way of New York. The move from just outside DC to New York was when out boys were really young. My wife was concerned about the distruption and stress surrounding such a move. Fortunately friends of ours suggested a reliable Baltimore movers and storage company. At first our reaction was why higher a moving company based in Baltimore if we are in DC. However, it turned out that Von Paris Moving and Storage service a very large area throught Delaware, Maryland, and the DC area. Sice Von Paris is a full service agent for northAmerican Van Lines, they really aren't just a local Baltimore moving company. They were great. A Von Paris personal moving consultant came to the house to assess our long distance moving requirements. We chose the full service packing option that freed both Allison and myself from the onerous job of packing. Their crews were really friendly, well trained, and were sensitive to our during a long distance move. They packed everything up, moved it to our residence in NYC, and then unpacked most everything. Our boy's room was set up so that when the boys walked into their new home, at least their bedroom was familiar and comforting. They were great. Our move to Cleveland was with a different company. We had a few glitches, but we made it here and are settling in. We've had great support here. I have found people to be friendly and open to the changes that are occurring.
Reverend Colvin is a graduate of Morehouse College, receiving the Bachelor of Arts degree in Religion and History. He earned a Master of Divinity from the Union Theological Seminary in New York City and is currently pursuing a doctorate of education at Teacher’s College, Columbia University, specializing in adult leadership and education.
From 1997 to 2000, Reverend Colvin served on the ministerial staff of the Grace Baptist Church of Mt. Vernon, New York. While at Grace, Reverend Colvin received the rites of ordination in 2000. For two years, he served as the Assistant to the Senior Minister for Children and Youth at the Metropolitan Baptist Church of Washington, DC. In 2001, Rev. Colvin received the pastoral call from the East Friendship Baptist Church. He served as pastor for eight years at the faith community where he was baptized, nurtured and licensed to preach the gospel.
Throughout his ministry Reverend Colvin has received other honors and citations noting his commitment to Christian ministry, scholarship and service. In addition, Reverend Colvin has distinguished himself as a preacher of the gospel. He has been published in the African-American Pulpit, preached in major pulpits across this country and in 2003 was inducted in the Morehouse College Board of Preachers.
Theologian, pastor, and civic leader the Reverend Dr. Otis Moss, Jr. is one of America's most influential religious leaders and highly sought-after public speakers. A native of the state of Georgia, Moss was born on February 26, 1935 and was raised in the community of LaGrange. The son of Magnolia Moss and Otis Moss, Sr. and the fourth of their five children, he earned his B. A. degree from Morehouse College in 1956 and his Masters of Divinity Degree from the Morehouse School of Religion/Interdenominational Theological Center in 1959. He also completed special studies at the Inter-Denominational Theological Center from 1960 to 1961 and earned a Doctorate of Divinity degree from the United Theological Seminary while leading the Olivet Flock in 1990.
From 1954 to 1961 our Reverend served as pastor of the Mount Olive Baptist Church in LaGrange, Georgia. From 1956 to 1961, he also served as pastor of Atlanta's Providence Baptist Church and therefore, simultaneously led two congregations from 1956 to 1959. From 1961 to 1975 he pastored the Mount Zion Baptist Church in Lockland, Ohio and in 1971 he served as co-pastor, with Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Sr., at Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta.
In 1975, Reverend Moss called to pastor the Olivet Institutional Baptist Church in Cleveland, Ohio.
Our Pastor has been involved in advocating civil and human rights and social justice issues for most of his adult life. Having been a staff member of Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., he currently serves as a national board member and trustee for the Martin Luther King, Jr. Center for Non-Violent Social Change. His work in the international community has taken him to Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Japan. Our Pastor also traveled as a member of a clergy mission to the Far East in 1970 and to Israel 1978. In 1994, he was the special guest of President William Jefferson Clinton at the Peace Treaty signing between Israel and Jordan, and, in that same year, he led a special mission to South Africa.
Reverend Moss is the recipient of numerous awards and honors, including Human Relations Award from Bethune Cookman College in 1976, The Role Model of the Year Award from the National Institute for Responsible Fatherhood and Family Development in 1992, Leadership Award from the Cleveland Chapter of the American Jewish Committee in 1996 and an Honorary Doctor of Divinity from LaGrange College in 2004. In 2004, he participated in the Oxford Round Table in Oxford, England and was a guest presenter for the Lyman Beecher Lecture series at Yale University.
Moss is married to the former Edwina Hudson Smith. They have three children, Kevin, Daphne (deceased), and Otis, III.
Our journey began on February 12, 1931 when a small group of former members from Triedstone Baptist Church met in a small building at 6411 Quincy Avenue. With the support of Rev. Jordan of the National Foreign Mission Board, and the Rev. B. J. Glover, former pastor of Mt. Herman Baptist Church of Cleveland as Moderators, the small group of 40stepped out on “mustard-seed faith” to create a new church.
On Sunday, February 16, 1931 our first service was held in the above building with Rev. C. John preaching our first sermon.Our first church meeting was called on February 17, 1931 to organize our auxiliaries and to select officers.
Hoping to bring more of the light of Jesus Christ to the Cleveland community, the fledgling congregation adopted the name, New Light Baptist Church. All were welcome to join and hear the truth about the Savior. Thus began a church, dedicated to addressing the full needs of humanity, in accordance with the commands of Jesus Christ. Our next consideration was a pastor. The Reverend A. W. Nix of Chicago, Illinois was offered as a candidate. On August 3, 1931, a call was extended to Rev. Nix. With everything finally in place, New Light Baptist Church began its journey. On December 28, 1931, the church had its first revival conducted by Rev. T. E. Brown of Chicago, Illinois. Over a two-year period, the church grew from the original 40 members to 150. Despite this great start, after some unfortunate happenings, the church found itself without a pastor. This placed the new congregation (which had no support from her sister churches) in a very difficult situation.
Hoping to bring more of the light of Jesus Christ to the Cleveland community, the fledgling congregation adopted the name, New Light Baptist Church. All were welcome to join and hear the truth about the Savior. Thus began a church, dedicated to addressing the full needs of humanity, in accordance with the commands of Jesus Christ.
Our next consideration was a pastor. The Reverend A. W. Nix of Chicago, Illinois was offered as a candidate. On August 3, 1931, a call was extended to Rev. Nix. With everything finally in place, New Light Baptist Church began its journey. On December 28, 1931, the church had its first revival conducted by Rev. T. E. Brown of Chicago, Illinois. Over a two-year period, the church grew from the original 40 members to 150. Despite this great start, after some unfortunate happenings, the church found itself without a pastor. This placed the new congregation (which had no support from her sister churches) in a very difficult situation.
After thriving without a pastor for several years, the church extended a call to the Reverend N. H. Armstrong, of Akron, Ohio on July 17, 1933. The church then took on new life and the membership grew from 150 to 500. Our choir became well known throughout the city of Cleveland with Mr. I. Chapman as Director and Mrs. Georgia Turpin as pianist. Under Rev. Armstrong’s pastorate, the church directed its focus on Christ’s ascension from the Mount of Olives and changed its name from New Light Baptist Church to Olivet Baptist Church. Rev. Armstrong resigned his pastorate in 1937 to accept a call to serve a church in Detroit, Michigan.
Finding itself again without a pastor, the church relocated to the upstairs rear of the building on 55th Street and Central Avenue, shared with the Mt. Zion Congregational Church. We then extended a call to Rev. Reddick of Alabama, but after some discussion, he returned to his church in Alabama. Our membership at this time had decreased to about 35 but these few still held on, praying and asking God's blessings on our church. It was at this time that God remembered Olivet and sent us a new shepherd.
The Reverend Eugene W. Ward of Detroit, Michigan, known as the spirited “Boy Preacher,” came to Olivet to carry on a revival for us. The few officers that were still there decided with the consent of the congregation that we should extend a call to him, and in September 1937, Rev. Ward was extended the call.
Rev. Ward brought new growth to Olivet. Under his leadership, the congregation grew and the church auxiliaries increased from seven to seventeen. The congregation soon outgrew the East 55th and Central Avenue location and the officers were instructed to be on the lookout for a new church home. In May 1938, we relocated to new quarters in the Bohemian Hall at 8802 Quincy Avenue. After worshipping there as tenants, we decided to buy the building.
Phone (216) 721-3585
E-mail Us bgaffney(at)oibc.org
Olivet Institutional Baptist Church
8712 Quincy Ave
Cleveland, OH 44106